Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
More Cheap Joe's Art Stuff:  Home Page | Art Supplies | Paint Brushes | Artist Paints | Easels | Canvas | Drawing Supplies

Watercolour pencils...

Cheap Joe's Artist Forum » Watercolor Artist Topics » Watercolour pencils... « Previous Next »

Top of pageBottom of page

rekhasharma
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 7:49 am:   Print Post

I have some news. Derwent have bought Berol so you won't see Karisma

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Print Post

They sound good--I'll give them a try. R.

Terry
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Print Post

They are waxy-soft without being blobby. Also, the thing that has always inpressed me about Faber is their quality. The core or lead is exactly in the center of the cedar pencil which is glued lightly all the way down. When using a decent sharpener, the pencil always points great without much waste.

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Print Post

Thanks Terry--
Are these colors soft enough to spread easily without pressing too hard into the paper?--I can't recall.

terry
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Print Post

The full size image won't load into bulletin board so that's why I said I would e-mail one to you...it is also available at:

http://www.faber-castell.us/

the lightfastness is on the handle.

rekhasharma
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Print Post

Terry, this chart does not give you the lightfastness index.

terry
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Print Post

Here is the Faber color chart.

my image here

e-mail me at:

terry@cheapjoes.com

and I will send one you can read.

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:21 am:   Print Post

There are, though, considerabley more costly that the other brands (in this case you get what you pay for).

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 5:57 am:   Print Post

I can say this--Caran d'ache rates each pencil for lightfastness and the ratings were predominantly 3 (highest) or sometimes 2 (acceptable). Given this and the general high quality and intensity of the colors, I would recommend them highly. (Suprasolor, not prismalo). They afterall invented the waterco0lor pencil.

rekhasharma
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:58 am:   Print Post

Not much luck from Sanford. See below

Sent: 26 April 2006 10:12
To: foonc@btinternet.com
Subject: RE: Contact us Email Generated from Sanford Site

Dear Rekha

Thank you for your email concerning Sanford products.

We do produce a water soluble colouring pencil with a soft lead that
gives a strong opaque colour when used dry, but will easily break down
with water to produce a flat semi-opaque paint. This is the Berol range.
However, we do not have a lightfastness index for this or any of our
pencil.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help on this occasion.

Kind regards

Mary McCluskie

Anonymous Painter
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Print Post

I have tried some of 4 brands (Staedtler-Karat, Van Gogh, Fantasia, and Albrecht Durer -- the latter are the Faber-Kastell w/c pencils). Imo, the Durer are a bit better than the rest in terms of buttery consistency, consistent handling (some of the colors in some other brands don't seem to blend as much, lines can't be wiped away), strength, etc. They are supposed to be quite lightfast, too. The Derwent have a reputation as 'scratchy,' btw.

One thing to be aware of, though, is they are slightly thicker. They won't fit all pencil sharpeners. I like the little Prismatic hand sharpener, though, and fortunately they fit in that.

marie
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Print Post

I checked the Faber-Castell and Caran d'Ache websites. Both companies tout the lightfastness of their pencils, but neither company gives the specific pigments. Perhaps you could contact the companies directly.

rekhasharma
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Print Post

I have another related question. Where will I find the list of colours used in the watercolour pencil sets from Faber-Castell and Caran d'ache.

Robert
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 6:40 am:   Print Post

Remember--all things must pass away.

rekhasharma
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Print Post

Sue, I went to the Derwent site but they don't specify what 'excellent', I, and II mean in terms of years. I have written to them for clarification

Sue Grant
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Print Post

Hi you guys, this is the first time I have posted on this site, (although I have been reading it for a while now.) I live in England, and I sometimes use the Derwent "Signature" coloured pencils, both ordinary and the watercolour. The makers state that the "Signature" colour pencils were developed for their superior lightfastness.Hope this is of use to you.

rekhasharma
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Print Post

Finally found a site that lists the names of permanent pigments. http://www.noteaccess.com/MATERIALS/PermanentP.htm

rekhasharma
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 5:57 am:   Print Post

That would make sense since they would be the same pigments as the watercolour paints in tubes/pans

Robert
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 5:31 am:   Print Post

I was using the same one--it now crashes on me too. The lightfastness ratings were mostly pretty good, just like with watercolor paints.

rekhasharma
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 3:45 am:   Print Post

I have tried opening this document several times, robert, but it crashes on page 5 which is where the lighfastness scores begin. If you have a working .pdf document could you please send it to me on foonc@btinternet.com? Thanks

Robert
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Print Post

Download brochure and scroll into it and you will find lightfastness rating for each color. Caran d'ache is to the other brands what a Ferrari is to a Mazda (I own a Mazda, BTW). They are absolutely brilliant and handle well. The neocolor II watercolor crayons are great too and the pencil line is coordinated with them. BTW stay away from the Prismalo version, much too hard.

Robert
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Print Post

These:
http://www.carandache.ch/products/fineart/detail.lbl?g=Artist&p=Supracolor

marie
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Print Post

Seems to be paraffin, beeswax, or carnauba wax.
If you are interested in knowing more, there's an interesting web page about wax-based drawing media at http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn19/wn19-3/wn19-308.html.

I'm not sure how manufacturers determine the exact type of wax to use. I'm sure that cost has something to do with it. From previous experience with encaustic work, I also imagine that the melting point and brittleness of the wax is another factor.

terry
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Print Post

My experience with Faber-Castell stuff has been great.

http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplies/5189_faber-castell-albrecht-durer-watercolor-pencils.asp

rekhasharma
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Print Post

Thank you, marie, font of all knowledge. Doesn't bode well for any brand from what I can make out. Where does the wax in the lead come from?

marie
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Print Post

I don't have much experience with watercolor pencils. Lightfastness is my major concern. I found one site that did some lightfastness testing, and Prismacolor came out the best. You might want to take a look at
http://artistcraftsman.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ACS&Category_Code=CP
before you make a decision.

rekhasharma
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 7:17 am:   Print Post

I would like to know which is the best brand of watercolour pencils to invest in.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page